Section I Use of English
Read the following text. Choose the best word(s) for each numbered blank and mark A, B, C or D on ANSWER SHEET 1. (10 points)
Given the advantages of electronic money, you might think that we would move quickly to the cashless society in which all payments are made electronically. __1__a true cashless society is probably not around the corner. Indeed, predictions have been ___2__ for two decades but have not yet come to fruition. For example, Business Week predicted in 1975 that electronic means of payment would soon "revolutionize the very __3__ of money itself," only to __4___ itself several years later. Why has the movement to a cashless society been so___5___ in coming?
Although electronic means of payment may be more efficient than a payments system based on paper, several factors work __6___ the disappearance of the paper system. First, it is very ___7__ to set up the computer, card reader, and telecommunications networks necessary to make electronic money the___8__ form of payment Second, paper checks have the advantage that they ___9___ receipts, something that many consumers are unwilling to __10__ . Third, the use of paper checks gives consumers several days of "float" - it takes several days __11___ a check is cashed and funds are __12___ from the issuer's account, which means that the writer of the check can cam interest on the funds in the meantime. ___13__ electronic payments are immediate, they eliminate the float for the consumer.
Fourth, electronic means of payment may __14___ security and privacy concerns. We often hear media reports that an unauthorized hacker has been able to access a computer database and to alter information ___15___ there. The fact that this is not an __16___ occurrence means that dishonest persons might be able to access bank accounts in electronic payments systems and __17___ from someone else's accounts. The __18__ of this type of fraud is no easy task, and a new field of computer science is developing to ___19___ security issues. A further concern is that the use of electronic means of payment leaves an electronic __20___ that contains a large amount of personal data. There are concerns that government, employers, and marketers might be able to access these data, thereby violating our privacy.
1. [A] However [B] Moreover [C] Therefore [D] Otherwise
2. [A] off [B] back [C] over [D] around
3. [A] power [B] concept [C] history [D] role
4. [A] reward [B] resist [C] resume [D] reverse
5. [A] silent [B] sudden [C] slow [D] steady
6. [A] for [B] against [C]with [D] on
7. [A] imaginative [B] expensive [C] sensitive [D] productive
8. [A] similar [B] original [C] temporary [D] dominant
9. [A] collect [B] provide [C] copy [D] print
10. [A] give up [B] take over [C] bring back [D] pass down
11. [A] before [B] after [C] since [D] when
12. [A] kept [B] borrowed [C] released [D] withdrawn
13. [A] Unless [B] Until [C] Because [D] Though
14. [A] hide [B] express [C] raise [D]ease
15. [A] analyzed [B] shared [C] stored [D] displayed
16. [A] unsafe [B] unnatural [C] uncommon [D] unclear
17. [A] steal [B] choose [C] benefit [D] return
18. [A] consideration [B] prevention [C] manipulation [D] justification
19. [A] cope with [B] fight against [C] adapt to [D] call for
20. [A] chunk [B] chip [C] path [D] trail
The 45 Most 'Breathtaking' Sentences of the Year今年最丧的45个句子 01. 失败并不可怕 可怕的是你还相信这句话 Failure is not horrible. hat's horrible is that you beliee this.
- 新视野大学英语读写教程第1册Unit 1Learning a Foreign Language答案